COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Ohio Legal professional Standard Dave Yost has submitted two different lawsuits from homeowner contractors.
In accordance to Yost, these contractors allegedly failed to provide the house repairs and renovation services promised to and compensated for by householders.
“Instead of strapping on their toolbelts and heading to operate, these scammers considered they could operate off with the revenue,” Yost mentioned. “So now we’ve grabbed our instruments and we’re heading to fall the hammer on these men.”
The accommodate was submitted in Franklin County Court docket of Typical Please from Weylin Stewart, Roofless Common Contracting LLC and Gutter and Downspouts LLC.
According to court paperwork, they are accused of using around $36,000 from householders intended for property renovations and repairs. The suit promises they failed to comprehensive the get the job done they were being by now compensated for.
Below are means to keep away from contractor scams, furnished by the Attorney Standard Business office:
- Check with the contractor for and look at references. Beware that contractors may perhaps use alternative company or personal names to stay away from lousy references.
- Inquire the contractor for evidence of licenses, insurance plan, and bonding. State regulation does not require residence advancement contractors to be accredited, but several Ohio metropolitan areas do.
- Examine with the nearby Far better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org and the Ohio Attorney General’s Business to see if grievances are on file against the business or the unique. You can also research for earlier lawsuits filed by the Legal professional General’s Shopper Safety Section, simply click in this article.
- Get at the very least three prepared estimates from three different contractors.
- Get all claims, specs, and warranties in creating. As soon as a deal is agreed on, read through the contract absolutely just before signing.
- Do not pay back for the complete position upfront. Try out to work out a payment routine with the contractor – this kind of as one particular-third up-entrance 1-3rd halfway as a result of, and one-3rd on completion to your pleasure.